Reviews of Wrestling, Movies, TV and much more! Strong language has been censored by me for blog content

Thursday, November 24, 2011

IRC Undernet G-lined Virus

Recently I was having problems connecting on IRC to Undernet, it as reporting that I had a virus and I kept getting g-lined and instantly disconnected.

Did a sweep with Hijackthis, nothing out of the ordinary.
Did a sweep with Spybot S&D, nothing found.
Did a sweep with Ad-aware, also nothing found.

So I assumed it was a false positive, decided I couldn't use Undernet any more & switche d to IRCHiughway.

Then last night before going to bed I decided to run my antivirus software over my main hard drive.

THAT found something. 5 infected files were found.
3 hidden in Documents & Settings/Network Services (A folder that doesn't even exist!)
2 hidden in numbered subfolders inside my Sun/Java area.

I told Avast to put them into the virus chest, then I deleted them from the chest.

Tried to reconnect to Undernet, no more error messages about viri.
Clearly I WAS infected then.

I've written up this post so if anyone else has the same issue, they can look in the same places and find the virus more easily.

No comments: