Reviews of Wrestling, Movies, TV and much more! Strong language has been censored by me for blog content

Monday, November 29, 2010

Paranormal State The New Class S01E01

Before I get going on cutting this show into the awful pile it is its worth mentioning a few things.

The original "parent" show Paranormal State started out with students from Pennsylvania State University who were members of its Paranormal Research Society commonly referred to in the show as PRS.
You do have to wonder how terrible as students Ryan & his team were if they were STILL students after 5 years.

A&E have clearly decided Ryan & his team clearly aren't hitting their age demographic any more which is why I assume they have recruited a new team who are obviously a very mixed age group Apparently this team are all members of the Hoosier State Paranormal Research Team but the intro shows that some of them are also EMT's in Indiana.

The intro states John Tenney is an "experienced paranormal investigator" but I cant say as I have ever heard his name mentioned on any of the US paranormal shows I have ever seen and I have seen most of them.

Oddly enough even though the families children had been scratched by the entity they were sent to investigate they still started the investigation with all the kids in the house with them. Tenney makes a LOT of assumptions with no proof or actual facts, he also leads the group with his idea on what an EVP they caught said. You could hear nothing, they thought it said "Danielle" but Tenney got them thinking it said "Damn you".

Taking a leaf out of the Ghost Adventures tech book this group used what they called a Ghost Box, again this was done with all the family & kids present so its pretty clear this show is going for the person to person connection. Unlike Paranormal State theres no religious angle, no priests, no psychics or mediums - just plain investigating.

It'll be interesting to see exactly how this show develops over time and if its creation spells the end for PRS.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ray,
This is John E.L. Tenney from Paranormsl State: The New Class. First and foremost thanks for watching show. Most of our advertising was paid for and handled by the team and I. We are happy that people found out about it and saw it. I'm here to try and clarify some points you mentioned in your post. First, the age of the members of the Hoosier team are 21-25 and all of them are EMTs, also all of them are still attending college. I am 39 and although a recognized member of the team I am more or less their mentor since I have been a researcher for 20+ years. One of the reasons you probably haven't heard my name or have seen me on a show is because I have spent my life doing research not promoting myself by selling spooky t-shirts, stickers and baseball hats, also I do not like photos of myself so agreeing to finally be on tv had more to do with trying to train a fledging group more than anything else. To quickly hit some more points. We investigated the house without the family first but due to editing you see the part of the investigation that happened later with the family first. As to my "assumptions" I have to make them it's where a person will start when creating a hypothesis. Also if you notice there is never a definite answer on what the EVP was saying, I am there to offer different ideas and explainations to the team, and I did so. They chose not to keep the EVP as evidence although this again wasn't seen due to editing. Using ITC techniques such as a "ghost box" or video-feedbacking are examples of alternate ways to investigate and part of my job is to help the team learn all and any techniques. I hope this helps and I hope you'll continue to give the new class a shot at becoming something beneficial to the paranormal research community.