Reviews of Wrestling, Movies, TV and much more! Strong language has been censored by me for blog content

Friday, June 20, 2008

Movie Review - Solar Crisis

Little known but still excellent film.

The names in this are amazing. I'd never heard of the movie before and was attracted to it by primarily seeing Charlton Heston (He of Planet of the apes, Ben Hur, El Cid, Omega Man and many, many more) and Corin Nemec (Of Stargate Sg-1 fame). Heston was pretty easy to spot but I think should have been in the film from frame 1 to the final credits but I think he's an excellent actor (I'm watching him in Soylent Green as I actually write this!), Although it took me quite some time to work out which actor Corin Nemec was, then I finally realized he was playing the young son/grandson. Jack Palance was an interesting character and did his usual brilliant job of filling an otherwise dull role. A basic story about how corporate greed is battling against the best interests of the human race in general to survive a huge solar flare which according to all scientists is going to either kill 50%, 90% or the whole of the population of the planet Earth. A few of the other character actors have familiar looking faces (the black engineer, the control guy - Harvard who I thought was actually Tom Hulce. CORRECTION! I KNEW I'd seen this guy before - He played Billy The Kid in Bill & Ted AND he played RAM in Tron!)

Also the chap playing Haas, I was convinced was the prince from Krull but it wasn't. He looks like him though! I also got the feeling that the corporate bodyguard guy with the white hair, that his part may have been offered to and turned down by Rutger Hauer because it's his kind of role. The effects in this film are excellent, the cast do a good job. Some scenes seem kind of tacked on as after thoughts. The only let down in this film is the 2001 style ending, I would have liked to have seen the ship get back to Earth, how the Corporation would have survived without its corrupt leaders trying to work for the own profit, the reunion between father, grandfather and son. If you haven't seen this, it's well worth it.

No comments: