Reviews of Wrestling, Movies, TV and much more! Strong language has been censored by me for blog content

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Movie Review - Stepping Out

I know this went to video in the UK VERY quickly. Why? Because I must have rented it more than 50 times from my local video store when I was in the RAF. Initially I was renting it as a Julie Walters fan (of stuff like Personal Services, Just Like A Woman) & I enjoyed it. Probably a lot more than I should have done. But then again tell me it's got women in tight shiny Lycra and heck I'll watch it. Julie gives a brilliant performance and does look very nice. Most of the ladies do in fact.

Liza looks amazing (I told you I was probably watching it for all the wrong reasons!) and plays her role predictably enough. Shelley Winters brings a lot to a role that hasn't got much to do. I adore Maxine (and then I found out she was Audrey in "Little Shop Of Horrors" and that was why, I loved her in that too!). Canada makes a pretty convincing New York and the film is not too sappy in it's feel good role to be over sweet. Liza has her horrible guy, but then everyone in the group seems to have some problem or another in their lives so there's going to be at least one of them you can sort of relate to.

Obviously it all works out well in the end and it's more than good enough to hold up to several viewings. It's amazing that it's never been released on DVD (I'd buy it in a heartbeat) and I'm watching it again today as they showed on UK TV. Generally its a very good movie that so many haven't heard of and it gets overlooked when it really shouldn't. You don't need to be a dance fan to enjoy this film. Heck, I'm a straight guy who isn't much for dancing but I love it and enjoy it every time I watch it. Well worth a look if you haven't seen it before.

No comments: